Thread: Tsundere
View Single Post
Old 2006-07-17, 13:38   Link #25
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet

Anime I admire? That's easy. Shoujo Kakumei Utena, Tenkuu no Escaflowne, Ghost in the Shell, RahXephon, to name a few. And the point of this is?

Somehow I doubt that the 'tsundere' archetype is grounded in eastern literature. And examples to support the point? 8)
1) Just curious since you executed the moral equivalent of walking into an opera forum and posted that "most opera sucks". Not a great way to start a useful discussion. Perhaps if you hadn't said "most", I'd be less skeptical. You seem to admire anime with more depressing motifs. I like most of those, but don't tend to use them for emotional uplift. You're using Haruhi for a lot of examples, did you enjoy that?

2) ... because the Japanese themselves use these terms? You can find examples of this character type in both Chinese and Japanese film (live-action and animated). Strong women in western literature don't really exhibit the behavior pattern (though the "ice princess" archetype comes pretty close in some instances). I just think its more productive to use the terms a culture uses for analyzing their own stories.

Oh, if you are from Estonia ... a recent BBC News article said your country was the most wired/wireless in the world, including a "paperless government". Nice (as long as it actually works ).