View Single Post
Old 2007-12-09, 01:12   Link #146
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Reality View Post
Agreed. I am bothered that Koizumi didn't rank higher than either Tsuruya or Mikuru?

Tsuruya, while perky and quirky, doesn't really do all that much.

Mikuru is, while the source of humor, really turns me of with her moe-appeal. She's funny mostly because of what Haruhi does to her. She's much too passive to interest me.

Aside from Yuki, Koizumi is about the only real thinker in the bunch. While Yuki is just great at raw processing power and has all sorts of unbelievable powers, she's not really good at introspection or philosophical speculation. He's the guy who peels back ever more layers away from the surface of the Haruhi universe to reveal ever deeper mysteries. He's perfectly in spirit with the open-ended wonder of the show.

He makes you ask. What is Haruhi really? What exactly is Mikuru's purpose? Who is Nagato? What is reality? He teases Kyon into coming ever-closer to the fact Kyon and Haruhi have got the hots for each other. Mostly this is hilarious because Kyon refuses to comprehend that he might like such a crazy person.

Koizumi is the most under-appreciated member of the crew. You wonder what kind of long-suffering sort of guy lives under a smiling mask, keeps Haruhi's life in order and pretty much realizes that he's not going register as blip on anyone's romantic radar. He hides his emotions so well that he probably can't distinguish himself from his facade anymore. The man has got character.

A philosopher with an iron will. You got to respect that.
Exactly.

I'm still waiting for a book centered on Koizumi.