Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-01-04, 22:06   Link #5321
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harufox View Post
Woah, 10 years is a long wait, but have there been stories of system failures? Delays? Vandalism? Myki has attracted all 3 and more of these issues with it.

Melbourne has 1 private train operator (Metro), 1 private tram operator (Keolis Downer) and over 50 private bus operators. There a bus routes that range from having a bus every 15 minutes, to buses every 40 minutes. Routes that are long, short and in some cases repetitive of another route (411 and 412 are a perfect example, anyone living in Altona).

Our old system, Metcard (thankfully still in use), was a simple paper/cardboard based ticket that worked similarly to a flat-rate fee (for example, $3.70 gets you 2hour travel in Zone 2 on all trains, trams and buses running in that zone). Myki's initial release has buses and trams out of the loop because of problems with the mobile software, hence why it "makes a mockery of our multi-modal transport system".

I guess no government likes looking red-faced. In response to a story regarding hijacking of ships, there's a few ships that will be transporting some new X-Trapolis trains from Europe to Australia. I just want to see the look on the premier's face when one goes missing.
I'll say this about TransLink, from about 2003 until 2009 Translink was always about 6-12 months away from being rolled out on BART, (The second largest transit agency in the Bay Area, by Ridership) and the officials at BART simply ignored it, at one point, a couple years ago they even tried to roll out their own smart-card, which went over with the public as you might think. Though now BART does accept Translink with no major issues. With such a long rollout period, most of the glitches and delays have been taken care of, but with major expansion of the TransLink to the South Bay (Known as Silicon Valley to those outside the Bay Area) anything and everything could go wrong. And as for the third issue, Vandalism,we're so used to the Graffiti, and the worn down condition of buses and trains that we really don't care anymore. And for my last point, before TransLink, we didn't even have interagency transfers, or a combined fare system to ease people's travels. Here in the Bay Area, we've got a great variety of bus lines, just like any other city, but here in the Bay Area, many of them are so crowded you would think that they would be better off as rail lines.