Old 2011-05-10, 10:31   Link #1107
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
Terrible example;
No, it's not.

On this particular point, all I need to do is show that it's possible to have both a lot of drama and still maintain the status quo.

Satire or not, the Simpsons show that it is possible to do that.

Quote:
Satires require a steel status quo.
And some on this thread are arguing that slice of life also requires a steel status quo.

So if this is something that satire and slice of life share in common, is it not in fact fitting to use a satire example to prove the point that drama does not necessitate changing the status quo?

Quote:

Why? Because it's possible? Are you saying that the Slice of Life label really just means that the show is realistic?
No, I'm saying that it means that the level of conflict and drama (this in particular) you see in Slice of Life is not beyond what can be frequently found in the real lives of everyday people.

In my mind, Slice of Life is the opposite of Epic (in the traditional pre-internet sense of the term). "Epic" operates on a grand scale, often including explosive conflicts between fantastical opponents.

Slice of Life is grounded in a more normal scale, and in the day-to-day. And that is what we have here in Hana-Saku Iroha, imo.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-05-10 at 10:45.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote