View Single Post
Old 2012-03-17, 00:28   Link #256
Eater of All
NOM

I was wondering how 4 pages of thread could develop in less than 24 hours, but I just realized how much of an idiot I am. I forgot this is a KyoAni show! Of course after a PV release (or any tiny bit of new info really), the normal folks would express their natural excitement or criticism, and the usual gang of KyoAni critics would come and 1) lament sorrowfully how disappointed they are, 2) proceed to predict a boring/shitty show, and 3) emphasize for the 1284th time how KyoAni is so totally not a good studio. The cycle would be complete when KyoAni-critic-critics (like me ) join in and start calling out on the critics, leading the thread to spiral into a haze of strawman-picking and off-topic crap. Only in a KyoAni-related thread!

And before the obligatory "but... but... we have the right to criticize!!!", yeah you do, just keep the generic whining about how KyoAni is a shit studio or K-On sux or pity for the studio's "untapped potential" to yourself for more than 10 seconds.

In case a mod comes in and deletes my post for OT, let me say first for the trailer: great animation. It doesn't reveal much, especially since I can't understand moonrunes or moonspeak, but it does make me curious how the mystery stuff may possibly be handled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
I can't say what the other critics are saying about this, but my criticism is soley based on the PV given to us. It was dead boring... as simple as that. And it wasn't the most amazing, speechless animation (though it was well animated) either let alone the character designs and background art which were either unimpressive or "standard". The PV just did a bad job of selling whatever the show is supposed to be about. You know it's bad when a lot of the positive comments seem to be in regarding "dem purple eyes".

To give an illustrated comparison, here's two PVs from two studios which I think frankly do a better job than Kyoani does when it comes to promoting material:

Guilty Crown PV
Hanasaku Iroha PV

I donno... when I saw these two PVs back in the day I was like "DO WANT TO WATCH", unlike this Hyouka one which was just ZZZZZZ to me. And honestly, even just "animation" wise (frames - yes I know what animation is), the Hyouka one isn't even better. In terms of background art and character designs, hands down Hyouka loses. Atmosphere and what it's trying to sell? Hands down Hyouka loses.
>Citing a PV from an action series
>Citing a PV from a lively teen slice of life series
>Criticizing "atmosphere and what it's trying to sell" when the first episode hasn't even aired yet

Come now, if you think it's boring, you don't need to make irrelevent justifications for it (intentionally or unintentionally). It's boring for you. Got it.