View Single Post
Old 2013-02-26, 22:42   Link #93
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceyfw View Post
i get what you're saying. i blame the time constraint these people deal with, and have to short change on some things from the original source. i can see anime adaptations getting better if they could end at episode 15 or 19 but it'll most likely never happen with how the Japanese anime industry is right now with their TV time slots, or rather the TV station itself.
I honestly don't think it's case where they were really all that pressed for time. You can't just add episodes randomly, you have to somehow make each episode have some sort of flow, and keep some sort of momentum from week-to-week. I suppose there are some episodes that were done standalone that could have been stretched into two-parters... but that doesn't necessarily add details throughout the story, just further develops one particular story or arc.

Really, to do what you want, it's not really the episode count that would need to fluctuate, but the episode duration. But that's even more tricky.

Quote:
it would have certainly built more suspense if they gave details on how extra skills worked in SAO. just the smallest details can build up to great suspense, and make the audience go "Holy nuggets!" or "Aww yeah!" when it comes to the revelation. not needed to advanced the plot like you said, but it certainly does give a better feel of how the rules of the SAO skill system works and the question of how a one-of-a-kind unique overpowered extra skill happened to land in his lap. again something i'm sure the anime only viewers would have deeply speculated if they had explained it properly. info from healthcliff didn't give me an impact in the anime like it did in the LN when he explained how kirito obtained <dual wield>
Well, keep in mind that you already knew what happened in the novel, so knowing the "big reveal" is automatically going to cause things to feel differently to you in the other medium.

Otherwise, I don't know the novels that well so I can't really comment about specific revelations... but I'll at least say that I had no problem following the breadcrumbs related to this point. I'm not necessarily opposed to details, but I don't think all these details would necessarily be easy to communicate in a visual medium and be followed by the audience at large (who may or may not know anything about MMORPGs).

Quote:
i still wish they would have at least make Lisbeth question why kirito would need another strong one-handed sword since he already had one. wait a minute... the anime didn't even mention how ridiculous it would be to wield kirito's one-handed black sword if the player didn't have an incredibly high strength stat. nor of how... never mind! bleh.
I think this isn't necessary. Him getting the second sword was already the elephant in the room, but what you're wanting is for them to put like flashy arrows and be like "don't miss this!!!". I think it's much better for it to just happen, people may or may not question it at the time, but then later on with the reveal you go "ohhh, so that's why" and it all makes sense. It means that there are things you'll notice on the second viewing that you didn't notice on the first pass, and I think that's fine.

Again, keep in mind that in the novel you already knew about the dual wield, so there was no need for dramatic suspense here in the book. So in that case, it's necessary for Lisbeth and Kirito to have the conversation about the sword, because they're making the connection back to the original plot in reverse. The thing that comes later (from the reader's perspective) has to refer back to the thing that came earlier (from the reader's perspective). So in both cases, the way they developed this point makes sense. I definitely don't think it had anything to do with time constraints; even if they had stretch that out to two episodes, I think they still would have avoided "spoiling" the sword reveal later on.