View Single Post
Old 2012-12-15, 13:53   Link #127
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
I think a lot of people aren't really getting the point, if they think Rikka dropping her chuunibyou is altogether a good thing.

Look, Rikka isn't just being crazy with her chuunibyou behavior. It's become part of who she is, her identity. She's an unusual and eccentric girl, but she's not crazy. She's also still a young teenager, her personality will change and evolve over time as she grows up. It's not right to expect her to "snap out of it" over night. Her now acting "normal" isn't a good thing at all, because she's not being herself - she is surpressing her own personality in order to conform, in order to be what other people - specifically, her family - want her to be. She threw away all the stuff in her room not because that was a logical thing to do, but because her mother wanted her to. She visits her fathers grave, not because she herself wants to, but because "it would make mom happy". I don't want to go on a rant about Rikka's mother, but honestly, what kind of parent demands their child completetly shed their own identity and personality and become a robot?

By the way: I recommend watching the ED again and paying close attention to the lyrics. They suddenly make a whole lot more sense after this episode.
I wouldn't make that assumption about her mother. What Rikka did this episode might be the result of her mother's pressure. But it could also be Touka's. Or Yuuta's. Or herself. Or, most likely, a combination of all of them. It seems to me that throwing away stuffs and visiting the grave are all Rikka's call this time. I think putting the blame on her mother for the zombie Rikka is jumping to conclusion at this point.

Much to my chagrin, we still know too little about her mother. First I assumed she just abandoned her children, then in the light of last episode it seems like she did try her best to stay with them, but Rikka's rejection of her was too strong that she thought it's better to put some distance. I think that's a fair decision. Maybe not the best, but it doesn't seem to me like she is a bad parent. I really wish for the last episode to put some lights on this topic.

I don't have much to add to the great discussion about how good or bad dropping her chuunibyou altogether is, but here's why I think that's a necessary bitter pill for the current Rikka, at least in the short term: Her chuunibyou is like the blood vessel to the tumor that is the issue of dealing with her father's death. It is unavoidable that some of the vessels in the normal tissue has to be cut off. It's ok to let the good part grows back later, but right now this measure is necessary.

Last edited by Hyper; 2012-12-15 at 13:55. Reason: Change some wording