View Single Post
Old 2009-09-09, 06:18   Link #478
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
No wonder why you all are going around in circles. How are you supposed to come to terms when one party (the one arguing against Kaisos) doesn't take the time travel plot into context?
Actually, it has been taken into context several times, the last one being in the post exactly above yours, with a paragraph on its own (so, quite hard to miss...) :
"The fact that people from the future take such a great care with "classified information" and correcting possible changes, seems to prove the opposite"
Quote:
When you talk about free will in time travel, you are actually referring to the ability of being able to change the future. Currently, in the novel, anime, manga and Tanigawa Nagaru's plot drafts (included to emphasize everything that can be remotely deemed canon), there has never been an instance that a character has expressed free will based on the aforementioned definition.

Also note that the Haruhiverse adapts the Novikov self-consistency principle in its time travel related plotlines. The gist of this principle is that:
As you can see, it is expected that any character in the Haruhiverse, sans perhaps Haruhi herself (whose powers are not bound by logic and the laws of physics), would be unable to make any changes to the current active timeline. Yes, they have free will in the sense that they are able to make decisions spontaneously, but bluntly speaking, these "decisions" were already mapped out by entropic patterns and thus whatever event that occurs is inevitable as these were already determined (to take this to a more quantum level) by the random positions of electrons in molecules' electron clouds.
I have not read the novels, and this is a thread about the anime, so I'll keep it strictly about the anime.
And in it, there were never any argument that I remember which stated or showed it was IMPOSSIBLE to change the timeline. It hasn't happened, but it wasn't shown nor argued no possible.
And again, the fact that there is so many "classified informations" and the like, tend to show that there is a risk, or they wouldn't bother.
Quote:
And I won't even touch on the sociopath debate, as all I see are people giving textbook symptoms and treating it as an incurable disease. This goes for mostly everywhere else that this pops up in these parts too.
Actually, psychopathologies are generally uncurable - though there is treatment, they never totally go away.