View Single Post
Old 2010-01-07, 00:15   Link #6614
Commander 598
Zeonic

Send a message via AIM to Commander 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by azul120 View Post
Pure cognitive dissonance. You're accentuating the positives of the Britannian Empire while magnifying the negatives associated with Lelouch and his rebellion, typical of many of the people who give him the Death Eater treatment. In addition to what Nogi mentioned about Clovis and his Shinjuku massacre, you also have Cornelia and her massacres of the Blood of the Samurai and civilians in the Saitama ghetto, not to mention her willingness to let hostages die.
I never said Britannia was nice. You need to remember this world doesn't have the ominous shadow of Adolf Hitler standing in the background as a measuring stick of evil. A lot of nations have done some pretty nasty things prior to WW2, the creation of the UN, and the treating of any form of nationalism as an armed explosive device, and some afterwards.

How did Britannia compare to other in universe nations? What little we saw of the EU seems to indicate that they were arrogant cunts, the Chinese as I recall were infamous for essentially being a third world nation, pre-invasion Japan had what may have been an iron fisted military dictator hell bent on taking his entire nation with him in a blaze of glory. As you can see it was a real contest of shining stars...and the real world sure as hell have a pretty spotty record IRL too.

Quote:
Not to mention the general Britannian attitude of superiority over numbers.
Which is merely a matter of citizenship that sounds oddly similar to that of Ancient Rome or perhaps something out of a Heinlein novel, basically citizenship is considered something more earned than simply given. Unfortunately none of this was ever elaborated on...

Britannia was a cruel, uncaring, and nationalist evil Empire cliche, but until it is revealed that it's eco-friendly cities were actually powered by number burning furnaces, I'm pretty sure it's not comparable to NAZI GERMANY.

Quote:
its people forced to work to the bone, fight to the death to amuse britannians, and even used as merchandise
Wasn't that whole place run by a big criminal willing to shoot people in the face in broad daylight for calling him out about his cheating though? Because that's what I remember...
Commander 598 is offline   Reply With Quote