View Single Post
Old 2009-01-14, 19:11   Link #90
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanqexe View Post
Partial list of Gundams:

F91 - My first true affection for Gundam, way back as a kid. The mixture of curves and angles was simply beautiful and elegant, outlining a very compact frame. The twin VSBR rifles are extremely versatile, and the strange ability of armor shedding was such a delight to see. On top of that, SNRI incorporated the biocomputer, which is basically the original Zero system. Too bad the F91 only showed up in one movie and not in a series. I liken the F91 to a sleek Porsche Carrera.

Nu Gundam - The first time you look at it, you can tell that the design was supposed to be very no-nonsense, yet it still had a very noble air about it. The fin funnels truly were revolutionary, along with the Psyco frame. When Rezen Schneider called for a retreat after nearly getting sniped by Amuro from beyond visible range and Amuro remarked that the retreat was a smart move, the only thing on my mind was: Oh baby. Bad. Ass.

The Delta and Zeta series (MSZ-006, Zplus, Hyaku Shiki, Delta plus): Nagano pulled off an incredible job in setting a design precedent with the Zeta and Hyaku Shiki/Delta designs. Every line on Zeta, Type 100, and their successors isn't wasted in showing that this lineage is built for speed and maneuverability. I think of the Zeta series as the Lamborghini line of mobile suit prototypes, with the Delta lineage being a close, curvier cousin.

Gundam Alex (NT-1) - The suit that Amuro was supposed to have. I guess I'm just a big fan of Izubuchi designs. Magnetic joint coating, Chobham armor, prototype 360 degree view cockpit, and arm gatlings - the Zeong would've been in a whole world of trouble if the NT-1 had made it into Amuro's hands. Plus, Chris was really easy on the eyes.

∀ Gundam - Tomino hit it out of the ballpark with hiring Syd Mead. The entire concept design of the ∀ Gundam is so futuristic and industrial, you can really believe it's constructed out of technology so advanced it might as well be magic. Syd Mead succeeded in the ∀ Gundam by applying industrial design concepts in such an organic way that the ∀ became a character in the series all on its own. When the ∀ Gundam moves and fights, it's incredibly beautiful to watch.

God Gundam - Um. Bakunetsu God Finger. Sekiha Love-Love Tenkyouken. Mobile Trace System that can cover Rain's body. Need I say more?

Gundam Exia - After the stale designs from the SEED franchise, I was very excited about the AD Gundams because they're such a refreshing take on the classic Gundam design. I was especially impressed with the ballet-like ability of the Exia to take on a number of opponents in close range combat. Futuristic, somewhat organic-looking, sleek.

Gundam 00 (not 00 Raiser) - A logical progression of the Generation 3 designs. Everything is more simplified, internalized, and angular due to the miniaturization and advancement of GN technology. The many benefits of the Twin Drive System are incredible to behold. I just wish that they'd done something different instead of slapping on a huge transforming fighter plane as a stabilizer. They should've gone the route of compact mission packs if they wanted to do that. Really, less is more.
I totally full heartedly agree with you on this. The 00 Raizer isn't much of a cool design, it's a little odd to me. Instead of putting on a huge ass fighter craft, they should have went the UC way, using a special magnetic coating on the frame.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote