View Single Post
Old 2011-04-16, 20:46   Link #423
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
You know, I could actually see Full Metal Panic becoming more popular if Kyoto retuned Sousake and Kurz to fit the angsty pretty boy mold. But that would make the characters too similar to the ones in Gundam 00.
Yes, angsty pretty boys would help sales, but I fear that the changes needed to make FMP truely commercial succes would probably kill it artistically. Fumofu avoided problems by just sticking to comedy, but I think TSR is too dark and violent to attract many fans of more lighthearted drama and romantic comedies. Probably even those who would normally have loved the relationship between Chidori and Sousuke.

Chidori is another potential issue, while I really like this character, I am sure an agressive tsundere like her will attract a lot more hate than less independent and more submissive eyecandy like Lacus Clyne, CC or Sheryl Nome from rival mecha shows.

Another problem is the mecha itself, the arms slaves are practical real robot designs that serve the plot, where a more iconic or spectacular design could have attracted mecha fans in larger numbers.

Still it is an excellent anime. It must have been bitter for Kyoani to see more formulaic shows like Geass and Frontier rake in the sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
I really liked their animation work and choices before the first Haruhi (assistance with SoulTaker/Komugi, 2xFMP, and Air), despite being extremely critical today, and ask yourself, what have they been animating these last five years (Munto, Key, three 4-koma, and turned Haruhi into just moe).
Let's see, since 2006 they've animated the second and third most succesfull late night anime franchises, (each selling over 500,000 BD/DVD in total) and Clannad is probably somewhere in the top 10. Without the help of mecha or much fanservice. Just 'moe' doesn't really do them credit. While not everyone may like this direction or feel that the studio's quality has declined, they did become a lot more succesfull in where it matters. I guess a lot of other studios would happily sign up for this type of decline.