View Single Post
Old 2010-12-01, 09:37   Link #785
Madal
All you need is love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdarkdark View Post
Simon did not necessarily see Kamina again, it was a dream. It still is depressing to see that the hero who saved the universe cannot be allowed to keep the woman he loved. And also, fans are upset because the ending was just plain stupid. There was really no point to kill Nia but Gainax threw it in for the lulz.
There is a very good chance that that was indeed Kamina. In fact, I'm almost assured that it was the Kamina we all know. For one, if you would recall Simon talked to him once the "dreams" or more accurately- halucinations (since the purpose of the multi dimentional maze was to preocupy conciousness till death while you stay uncosious in a dream) weren't holding him anymore. Second, the place where they met is something like a porch or a passage to the afterlife. You could almost say that Kamina came out to welcome Simon as if he were already dead. He would probably wait there utill all his freinds joined him (which he actually said in one of the books). Third, this scene is referred by the directors as "Simon's and Kamina's scene" not "Simon halucinates and talkes to himself" (which honestly would just be depressing). Same about Yoko ("...They were able to meet and that was sufficient", "in the presence of you, no words are needed"). In that sense it's hopeful that they were given a chance like that. Lagan-hen makes it even more obvious with the appearance of Kittan where it's clear that he had just made it into the afterlife.
I thought that the ending was brilliant and bittersweet. Nia's death was not stupid, it was given an explanation which you can reject but you can't disregard it. it think that there was also a motif in it for her as a character, that she was a heroine who did not back before the sacrifice. It sort of makes her more memorable as a character. A happy life with Simon would just be fans cheap whish fulfillment and Gainax doesn't do those often. What buggs me is that given her nature after the Anti-spirals reconstructed her as the Messanger, would she be able to go to heaven? When they turned her into an artificial life form (practically erasing her body and personality), where did her soul go? Nobody ever adresses that. I don't even know what the Anti-spiral Nia IS? A walking talking Mugan?

Last edited by Madal; 2010-12-01 at 16:46.