View Single Post
Old 2007-11-14, 18:08   Link #95
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbaloom View Post
This is a little test to see whether what I believe happening is right. It's been concerning me that over the past year the dynamics of fansubbing have been changing and that there is a move away from people joining established groups and working their way up through the ranks and getting experience and tutelage from those more experienced and instead more of a trend of diving headlong in to making their own group or joining a newly formed group.
Gum, I agree, I think it's a bad trend. I think due to the proliferation of bit torrent aggregrate sites there is much less interaction with subbers directly on irc, etc., so this is the cause of this phenomenon. Also the ease of timing/encoding has improved tremendously as well as the ability to get raws and more people studying Japanese. People would be more cordial and have better skill if they worked their way up like you and I.

When I started, even finding raws was hard (typically it involved someone having access to that mega korean site where 0-days subs + raws could be downloaded by members only) or, starting in 2001, knowing someone with an elite WinMX hookup on a Japanese server.

In my case, btw, I went:

leecher -> distro -> encoder/translator -> everything (but not a timer)

I got noticed originally in BakaMX for having a wide-open .edu connection and was hoodwinked into encoding for them in 2001 along with being recruited to L-E as a founding member by Sol for having a basic-enough understanding of Japanese to fudge a translation around the same time

-Tofu

Edit: on a side note, I did personally finance a couple of (S)VHS subbing projects in the late 90s by buying the masters and paying translators (this was common back then). Then I hooked up with a couple of established groups to work on said projects (Panda Kopanda and 3000 Leagues/Miles in Search of Mother. )
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote