View Single Post
Old 2013-01-07, 18:09   Link #12
judasmartel
*Author

Some weird thoughts I had this morning:

- I was thinking of a male character who takes notice of the main character pretty early in the story. Two ways to write him:

-- The childhood friend who's struggling to get into the high school boys' basketball team (he was cut out of basketball teams before because he's too small and doesn't seem to have the required skill level for his position). He's in a different class from the MC, probably in the same class as the Super Rookie to facilitate a little teasing.

-- The sports nerd nice guy who never got the chance to play any sport due to some physical condition. He's in the same class as the MC, and is probably the first guy to look at her beyond her size, and actually admires her for being such a determined person to weather all the odds her size offers, while he's struggling to live with a disease that prevented him from playing any sport forever. So he befriends the MC and tries to help her with anything he might know. The problem I had with this character is that he might come across to some readers as a weak male character.

-- Either way, I don't want him to come off as a serious love interest, because I want to focus the story more on the MC's progress with the team. I just want to write him as someone she can depend on for help, especially about basketball and on how to handle being different from the others.

- Two of MC's friends who may or may not end up with the team. I am more inclined to include them in the team, mainly because I can't think of anyone else to put there. However, they will only get to play very limited time in official games while their friend (the MC) is gaining more playing time. But still, if I am going that route, I want to write them as capable of playing the game when needed, especially when the other members of the team got injured or too tired to continue playing.

tl;dr: So, what do you think?

- Childhood Friend or Nerdy Nice Guy? Or both for a nice Love Triangle sub-plot?
- MC's friends on the team or NOT on the team?

Last edited by judasmartel; 2013-01-07 at 19:06.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote