View Single Post
Old 2004-04-01, 17:08   Link #17
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Ecchi anime are anime in which erotic/nude scenes are shown at times or places where they are completely unnecesarry for the story and this in large amounts. Most often this nudity/erotic scenery is used in a comedy sense and not in an arousing sense (which would be hentai)

Ecchi : Love Hina, Ikkitousen, Chobits, Aoi Yori Aoshi, Daphne in the Brilliant Blue, Yumeria (mostly erotic scenes and very suggestive scenes rather than actual nudity), Onegai Twins
Not Ecchi : KGNE, Da Capo, Saikano, Evangelion
Great post, 7thMethuselah - I agree with your analysis. As I had pointed out to me in other thread, though, some parts of KGNE were definitely gratuitous ecchi (most of the scenes at the restaurant with Ayu, for example). But, about the scenes you mentioned specifically, though, I agree completely. I don't think of KGNE as an ecchi anime.

This is a bit of an aside, if there was one thing that bugged me about Ai Yori Aoshi it was that the ecchi seemed to get in the way of the plot. It was as if the two didn't blend properly (I really liked the main romance, and wished that they would have focused more on that). Love Hina suffered a bit in the same way, but I never found it as serious to begin with so it didn't bother me as much. In Yumeria, on the other hand, I thought they blended ecchi and plot very well - the show could be serious and ecchi at the same time and go between the two without either seeming out of place. For the most part, I thought that Onegai Twins did a fairly good job of this blending also, mostly because the situations were well setup and well-played (and sometimes very surprising, like Karen and Maiku's scene in episode 3).