Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-08-26, 05:05   Link #16093
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Some clarifications are in order: Even though our two countries have grown quite far apart — politically, economically and socially — Singapore and Malaysia still share very close historical and personal links, to the extent that it's a bit absurd to talk in terms of "us" vs "them".
If it is not too much trouble for you, could you explain a bit how Malaysia works? I found the wiki pages a bit too dry. Lots of things that I have heard about the nation are quite peculiar, such as two court system: a Muslim court and a civilian court, some segment of the population (based on their race) are bared from certain career options (like entering civil service or banking, etc.) I have also heard that marrying out of religion is frowned upon (which is certainly not limited to Muslim or Malaysia). Many of them can be misconceptions or nonproblems. It will be enlightening to know what it is really like. I also found that the fact they are keep the two regions that so far apart by ocean under the same rule pretty fascinating.