Thread: Licensed Simoun
View Single Post
Old 2010-09-19, 18:24   Link #2949
drobertbaker
Major Lurker

Location: <clap> <clap> <clap> <clap> Deep in the Heart of Texas
To episode 13

I was sure glad to see Dad step in and call an end to all the foolishness. The girls were way out of control.

The peace conference was a real wake-up call and Nebireru seemed to get it. She saw the dedication of the Plumbum priestesses to do what they had to do and still maintain their faith, in fact increase it to a fanatical level. She also saw up close the stakes involved.

The girls have now been evicted from the luxury liner and are living altogether (with mice and a leaky roof) in a common dormitory. I hope there's a firehose nearby because sparks will fly!

Just when Nebireru was getting it together, Aaeru sent her back to bed with her unbelievable tactlessness.

The war-driven influx of these low-class and impious Shibyura is certainly fostering change.

I have tried to think of a real-world example of sacred power turned to bellicose ends by necessity. Perhaps some sect of Asian fighting monks that I'm not aware of? The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch?

The closest I could come was the developers of the atom bomb, devout high priests of Science. The ones who came to the fore under pressure were the ones who could rise above their (if any) scruples. Szilard the political fanatic and Fermi the morally invisible man. Oppenheimer played the role of Nebireru the ambivalent leader, equally in love with her instrument of power and her own inscrutability.
Oppenheimer ended up doing what he had to do, but after the war, balked at unanticipated escalation and was cast down, replaced by Teller who was unafraid of the next step.

How far will Nebireru conscientiously go? Or will she see the light of holy destruction? Aaeru and Mamiina certainly have no scruples whatsoever and would both love to be in charge.

I finally heard a groovin' jazz tune I had to have and so got the OSTs. The song turned out to be called "Hashire" (Run!!).

OST 1 has an interesting grouping of music:
  • Female Nation First Movement: Previously Mankind
  • Female Nation Second Movement: Exclusion and Collapse of Male Society
  • Female Nation Third Movement: Preservation and Transformation of the New Variety
  • Female Nation Fourth Movement: Establishment of the Female Nation

Last edited by drobertbaker; 2010-10-13 at 03:25.
drobertbaker is offline   Reply With Quote