View Single Post
Old 2011-08-12, 16:43   Link #23761
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I don't really want to find Ryukishi's heart because what I've seen of it so far suggests he's kind of an arrogant hypocritical asshole. At least Beatrice is pitiable.
That's very much how I feel, tho I don't dislike Ryuukishi's attitude I find it creepy if he's trying to represent himself a blonde caucasian witch in love with Battler.

Spoiler for haguruma:

Spoiler for Wanderer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Yeah, I mean you're creating one of two scenarios here:
  • You actually believe this stuff you're saying in interviews, in which case you're a big-headed jerk who is full of himself.
  • You're merely pretending to be a big-headed jerk who is full of himself as part of the "experience," in which case you're a pretentious tool.
Note that I'm basing my impressions on outside sources like interviews more than I am his attitude derived from his actual works. I accept that a narrator may sound condescending or something without the author intending them to. There needs to be a firm line between "this is me the author speaking in the voice of the 'character' of my narrator" and "this is just me, the author, chatting with you." If you do all your interviews in character, it stops becoming a character.

Unless it's obvious you're acting in-character, like when Daniel Handler poses as Lemony Snicket. If he's acting like Snicket, you know he's in-character. If he's just hanging out and you interview him as Daniel Handler, he'd be a dick to keep acting like Snicket.
I might heavily be wrong in that but I think Ryuukishi was too much a niche writer to ever be able to properly deal with a large audience.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote