View Single Post
Old 2012-08-07, 13:32   Link #13
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'd imagine many PKing defendants would plead something of an insanity defense, arguing that being trapped for a long duration in a MMO deathtrap emotionally unhinged them and prevented them from thinking clearly.

Given that such entrapment within a MMO deathtrap is unprecedented (and there's nothing you can truly equate it with), I can see this argument holding some sway on Judges, at least as long as you can get a good accredited Psychiatric professional or two to vouch for the insanity defense.

Personally, I'd be leery of prosecuting SAO PKers, as abhorrent as I find their behavior in a situation like what we have in SAO. This really is very extenuating circumstances, and so I'm inclined to cast a more forgiving eye on the gamers caught inside of SAO.

Also, I think that Akihiko Kayaba is ultimately the person who should be held responsible for any and all deaths that occurred within SAO.
maybe in Japan but US law pretty much cripple the insanity defense after John Hinckly got off in the 80s and the infamous Twinkie Defense in the late 70s.