View Single Post
Old 2011-09-10, 20:15   Link #254
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Since we appear to watch rather a different spectrum of programs, I'll add two more distinctive roles for Kuwashima, who is also in my list of top female seiyuu. For me her most impressive performance was Shurrei in Saiunkoku Monogatari. She slides easily between comedic and serious material throughout this show. Her speech in episode eight of the second season of Saiunkoku where she berates the (uniformly male) members of the Imperial Court remains her single most-memorable performance for me.
It's probably true that we watch different types of anime to an extent, but my list of favorite roles in this thread doesn't necessarily represent my general taste; my favorite shows stretch across all genres. I've seen and loves several of the shows displayed in your signature too. I haven't watched either of these two, though. I'll make a note of them!

In any event, I'm glad to see a lot of love for Kuwashima here. I didn't except that many people to have her on their list of favorites as well. I appear to be in good company!

Quote:
Scanning her list of roles, the last performance I remember seeing is the main character Chizuru in the Hakuouki series.

She's done a lot of work for Madhouse, which lately doesn't seem to be turning out compelling series at the pace they displayed just a few years ago. I hope they don't get led too astray by their Marvel collaborations which I have no interest in watching.
I... didn't even notice. I guess it's been a good while since I've seen here in anything else. Great performance there too, but a bit of an inconsistent series, the first season especially.

You're not missing out on much with what I've seen (everything except Wolverine, which was too boring to sit through) of the Marvel collaborations... mediocrity incarnate.

Quote:
I didn't think much of Aoi's performance in Madoka because, to be frank, the script gave her little to do. I thought her work in SHAFT's Dance in the Vampire Bund was a far superior performance because it demanded she voice Mina in a wide variety of settings and emotions. That and her sparkling performance at age sixteen as Kuhouin Murasaki in Kure-nai are my favorites.
Aoi Yuuki was another person I wanted to include. She's pretty incredible. I completely agree with you here. I found her performance in Madoka to be very good, but like you say, it's a one-note deal. Not too memorable. She was fantastic in both Vampire Bund and Kurenai. The former of which receives a bit more hate than it has warranted, I think. But that's probably a discussion for another thread.

Yuuki's current work as Alice in Ikoku Meiro no Croisse has a lot of flare and liveliness to it as well. She makes an otherwise pretty cookie-cutter character stand out with her performance.