View Single Post
Old 2008-03-14, 13:03   Link #923
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
I asked you about position, and you want to ask about aim and other stuff? If you don't have an answer on the position issue, I can accept that. Don't try to distract me by changing the subject.
OK, let's talk about position. One huge problem with Kikaifan's theory, IMO, is right there. If we assume they are attack beams, they will indeed be fired in the positions that he painted (we can shuffle them forward and back along those lines a bit, but the general location is locked - a variant of TMA). And if we assume that they were actually aiming, then they will indeed have to be in that place. Except that the positions when plotted out don't make a whole lot of sense.

We can, of course, abscribe it to stupidity. But along with all other problems, it is probably easier IMO to just say they aren't beams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan View Post
When did I say that? All I assumed in that plot was that the beams were aimed with fair accuracy so they were probably near where their opponents beams went around the time they were fired. I drew lines with little extra movement to get a general idea for what was necessary but I have no idea exactly how they were maneuvering, just that a lot of back-and-forth was happening on Nanoha's part.
Your diagram actually shows with fair accuracy roughly how they would have been moving had your theory been true. Your lines are actually the consequence of your theory.

Quote:
Timerates shouldn't be considered locked by sound in anime. Look at the scene where Nanoha gets knocked off the building at the start of A's. There's sound in that, but she still falls for an impossible amount of time.
Emergency flotation magic slowing the fall. Heck, even non-flight capable mages are supposed to have these in their pockets.

Quote:
Cinematographic analysis. There's nothing literary about slow-motion.
Nor is there about fast-motion.

Quote:
I think perhaps you're missing the forest for the trees in this case. Watch it in full motion and you see straight beams with momentary distortions. Same deal with that windblast sequence- animation is about the end effect, not the contents of each frame. Animation in action sequences often wildly deforms characters in individual frames to enhance the appearance of motion in the end product. Nobody would claim that the limbs of the characters in question temporarily turned into noodles or large blurs.
When the entire attack is maybe 5 frames long, and it jerks up and down for 2 or 3 of them, then that's a major deviation, not something to be casually filtered out as noise.

Quote:
Apparently we have wildly divergent definitions of 'random'. Anyway, I thought it was weapons fire the first time I saw it and I don't think it looks anything like the random magic arcs you get in the rest of the series. I don't recall ever seeing any that big that didn't come off a jewel seed, either.
Well, how about the arcs that came down when Arf excited the air - you have to take into account that that was much more of a long-shot.

Quote:
Fate's charged photon lancer against Nanoha in ep. 4, Nanoha's charged divine shooter against Fate in 6, Fate combining the remnants of her phalanx shift in 11, then it's never seen again until StrikerS 8.
If I remember correctly, those are very small, and the scale of the animation so large those particles are unlikely to have been more than crawling in comparison to the speeds they show here. For example, all those balls are within a few meters of Fate in Ep11.

Last edited by arkhangelsk; 2008-03-14 at 13:18.