View Single Post
Old 2009-06-25, 17:07   Link #76
typhonsentra

Quote:
Originally Posted by khryoleoz View Post
Yes, that's right. I'm surprised at some of the other negative comments I've been seeing on this thread.

By saying all this I'm indicating what was missing in the novel. But where I love this anime adaptation is that they gave me, the viewer, something with which I can identify and become sympathetic to the characters' experiences. To have seen the summer events one time and to only be told that the same events have already occured 15,498 other times lacks the dramatic effect of re-living those same events with the characters at least one other time.

Viewers who haven't read the chapter won't know the difference so they suffer no loss, but those who have followed the book have gained something very significant in that dramatic effect. Kudos KyoAni, provided that we do have a resolution on the arc's 3rd episode.
The problem with this is, by having you sympathize with the characters that means you're thinking "Oh my God, I hate this so much please make it stop! Mommy, I want off the ride!!!" while sobbing curved in the fetal position like Mikuru was. That's not normally the reaction you want to get from your audience.