View Single Post
Old 2011-08-11, 06:15   Link #23724
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealym View Post
Soooo I still think EP5 was written with Shannon and Kanon as two living, breathing, physically separate people [/SPOILER]
I would even argue that within the stories Shannon and Kanon are always two seperate beings. I'd say that because for me Umineko can be divided into those "worlds".

The real world of the reader (where Ryûkishi is writing the story)
|
The real world within Umineko (where Ange, Tôya and Yasu exist)
|
The world of the stories of Yasu and Tôya (where reality and fiction coexist)
|
The reality that is hidden within the stories (that which Yasu wanted to be found out)
|
The meta world (where the thoughts of people become real)

While these worlds are connected, they are not necessarily synonymous with each other.

In the real world for example Yasu existed, but probably not Shannon and Kanon as individual people which were made to live through individual daily cycles. If anything they were probably ideas in her head to entertain her.
Within her stories she made those two into individual people, just like she made the witch Beatrice come to the island in Turn or how Tôya made Kinzô appear in the dining room in Alliance. But she also inserted enough hints to ensure that somebody could assume that something is off with those two:
  • Shannon and Kanon only possess half a soul
  • The butterfly pin Shannon receives from Beatrice is broken in two when Kanon refuses to go along with both their ideas
  • Shannon and Kanon never appear to Battler at the same time
  • When Shannon dies Kanon is bound to vanish as well
  • There is never a corpse of Kanon
  • Kanon and Shannon can be revived by Beatrice

From these we can start to assume that them being two different people is as much fiction as goats overrunning the rosegarden, Erika arriving at the island or the adults emerging from a well that is sealed with an iron grid. It is something we see in the fictional world of the stories, but it is not the reality that Yasu wanted Battler to see within her first two stories.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote