View Single Post
Old 2012-08-17, 17:19   Link #312
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
To be fair... the beater bit took up roughly... what... a minute of episode two, and maybe fifteen seconds of episode three and another in episode four? I'm not sure we're supposed to spend so much time debating something the anime has never really spent much time on.
It might have only been a minute or two, but it was a rather memorable minute or two. It was Kirito at his hammiest. Back when I first watched it, I thought it would end up being a rather important plot point, as it certainly had the feel of one. So I think viewers have a right to say "What happened with the whole 'Beater' thing? Seems like some heavy drama over very little."

Some SAO critics have been overly nitpicky, but some of the bigger SAO fans won't budge for even the most reasonable criticisms, imo.

I think if both sides would give a bit, you could get beyond these debates.

SAO has been a very good anime, but the way its been presented could have been smoother. There's nothing particularly wrong with what's there - There's a lot to like about it - But some of these rough edges could have been smoothed out more to make the overarching narrative seem a bit less clunky. That, or some of these side-arcs should have been left for later, to be told as flashbacks, imo.