View Single Post
Old 2010-01-15, 04:19   Link #2169
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Akagi View Post
OK, I'll admit Lambda and Berun know at least some of the ultimate truth behind Umineko (it's hard to dispute that after the Ep 4 ??? tea party) - I was arguing more for the sake of argument above. However, the extent of that knowledge and whether they truly interpret the red truths known to them correctly is absolutely unverifiable at this point in the story.

Besides, would you care to explain why at the end of EP 5 Berun was perfectly satisfied that "case was closed", which was further approved by Lambda? Wouldn't it be more classy for a grand witch like Berun to obtain a fair win (i.e. present the real culprit, which, as you imply, must be known to her) rather than to cheat her way out?
Well, I suppose it's not like she's ever been accused of cheating at a witch's game before-- oh, wait. Lambda accused her of cheating at the Hinamizawa game.

In any case, based on Bern's conversations with Lambda and Ryukishi's interviews:
- Lambda does know who the culprit is, since she's capable of being the game master. She can use the gold truth if she wants, since she knows what really happened.
- Bern does not know who the culprit is and can't use the gold truth, but she doesn't care because exposing the real culprit wasn't her objective in the first place. What she wanted to do was destroy the witch's illusion by denying Beato's argument that only a witch could commit the crimes. Any trumped-up culprit would do for that.