View Single Post
Old 2009-07-20, 19:30   Link #1769
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
First off, IŽd point out his own explanation from episode 23 to Klan... he was looking for a reason to go into the military, and protecting Ranka was the motivation he needed. So, yeah, duty, pity and self-interest do play a part. Also the primal desire to protect someone weaker and who was calling out for help.

And while I see her as ultimately self-centered ( and really not having become better even in the end ), Ranka is otherwise a sweet girl, nice to others, endearing in her naivité. If IŽd meet her in real life, IŽd like her quite much, I am sure, and would try befriend her. I got myself a bit of protector complex, so I can understand Altos reaction quite well.
I guess we differ there. I don't see Alto as being into pity (at any rate, he steadfastly refuses to pity Sheryl in the latter part of the series).

And I think if he had merely felt like he had to protect her, he would've gotten tired of that long before the end of the series. Of course, no matter what, he would've saved her in episode 25...but before she left Frontier, they were still hanging out, doing things...being friends.