View Single Post
Old 2009-07-20, 21:52   Link #1772
Snowblind
Professional Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
First off, IŽd point out his own explanation from episode 23 to Klan... he was looking for a reason to go into the military...
Ehhhh? Where does he say this? He never says he's looking for an excuse. He'd already made the leap and was taking pilot training. He didn't need to join the military in order to become a pilot, and even if he did he wouldn't need a further excuse to join then, would he?

Quote:
...and protecting Ranka was the motivation he needed.
The translation I have says he joined in order to protect Ranka, plain and simple.

Quote:
So, yeah, duty, pity and self-interest do play a part. Also the primal desire to protect someone weaker and who was calling out for help.

And while I see her as ultimately self-centered ( and really not having become better even in the end )...
How is she ultimately self-centred? There are many occasions in which she shows concern or interest in others. There are occasions where she steps back from her own wishes so as not to get in the way. See ep 4, when Alto tries to console her over the Miss Macross results, she instead takes the opportunity to congratulate him on passing his SMS entry tests. Or ep 12 where she puts herself in harm's way to help. Or - and you're going to love (hate) this one - going to try and stop the fighting with the Vajra. Regardless of what you think of the plan, or what happened, were her motivations self-centred?

Does she have moments of self-centredness? Sure. It's only human. Most characters in the series have several such moments.

Quote:
Ranka is otherwise a sweet girl, nice to others, endearing in her naivité. If IŽd meet her in real life, IŽd like her quite much, I am sure, and would try befriend her. I got myself a bit of protector complex, so I can understand Altos reaction quite well.
Sheryl can elicit a similar response... Orphan girl, never met her parents, raised in a bubble of stardom... and toward the end the tragic, falling star who's also dying. So who's to say that his feelings for Sheryl are any different than those for Ranka?

Quote:
If you are competing for someone, but donŽt care to get to know that person, instead only assuming that the desires you project unto him are correct...
Irony.

Quote:
...you are bound to experience grave disappointment. Sheryl was coming at Alto from much more realistic expectations, which is why she ended up ahead of Ranka in the end.
And what were those?

Ranka makes a point very early on that one of the reasons she likes Alto is that he listens to her. That can mean a lot to someone.

Quote:
And of course there are the other issues her being so self-centered bring up, but that is a discussion for another day. Unless someone wants to continue down this alley...
Bring them up if you want to. I'm sure trying to say anything to the contrary will be like talking to a wall, but...