View Single Post
Old 2013-02-20, 15:51   Link #241
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I still fail to see Sybil as anything special once the curtains are pulled away. They are just politicians making decisions. Except no one knows that it is humans and not a computer that's making the call. The Sybil system could have been flesh humans sitting around a round table and it wouldn't have made a difference to the results.
My feelings are more directed towards how these constituent members are selected. You're quite right in that it doesn't function all that differently from a bunch of politicians discussing an issue, but in this case, they only take in the best minds, only the ones that further broaden the entire system's perspective. I wouldn't be surprised if they had some of the best minds with regards to a wide range of fields, be it philosophy, science, psychology, art, or mathematics. If that wasn't enough, Sybil seeks to fill in the gaps by taking in anyone who can contribute a new way of thinking into the system. It's pretty much a working and thriving aristocracy, looking at the whole thing closely.