View Single Post
Old 2012-10-27, 18:03   Link #48
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I can't but help but correlate how he smirked at taking out those red guys to when he killed Kuradeel. The way he felt at the latter, becoming a murderer, really made me empathize his oh-so-perfect character. The former made me think of him as bullying the weak =02.
That's kind of a totally different matter. This is a game where "death" is just part of the normal mechanics. There's a penalty, but there's absolutely no stigma with killing someone -- it's just like beating someone at any other sport. You don't feel guilty about fragging someone in a multiplayer FPS, or whatever. And besides, Kirito and Lyfa were the ones being threatened in the first place -- they'd have been "killed" if it weren't the other way around. That's just the nature of the game.

There is still something at stake in the lives of Asuna and the rest of the 300 prisoners, but sure -- this is a totally different kind of game, since "death" is more of an annoyance than a real problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroboro View Post
It looks to me like Kirito is downright ecstatic to be playing a video game again. To posture like that and play the hero in a setting where you no longer have to worry about your actions potentially endangering the lives of yourself or others must be an amazing relief.
Yeah, I agree with this. SAO was a game... but it really wasn't a game, given the stakes. This is what all the SAO players expected when they logged-in, but never got. But of course, it's a completely different experience.