View Single Post
Old 2013-03-10, 16:45   Link #77
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Interesting you say this, because I've had the impression ever since the beginning of this new story arc that Saki's become somewhat broken down from her traumatic adolescence. It's not at all uncommon in reality for people who go through hellish upbringings to remain strong for however long that strength is required, then crumble afterwards. I know someone who sometimes laments the fact that he feels he isn't as strong as he was a child. He grew up in a violent, crime-ridden ghetto and lived through a rather nightmarish childhood; he endured because he had to and described himself as being a tough kid, but after moving to a much cleaner, nicer town at age 14 and finally finding himself safe and secure, the stress he'd gone through up to that point hit him more sharply and he found it difficult to experience any kind of stress without becoming completely frazzled.
The last part applies to me a bit as well. Not necessarily just with stress but with my overall ability and "worth" if you will. But to be absolutely objective, I think a lot of it is just nostalgia and the super obvious fact that you do lose certain things, mostly those related with the brain such as memory, psychological adaptability and creativity, as you age. In return for experience. It's not always a fair trade, and at some point in life, the deficit is guaranteed to set in. But it mostly is. And a stable mind - not a strong (in face of dangerous crime sort of thing) mind, mind you, as that's more Satoru's game, but a stable mind, one that doesn't go awry over traumatic events - should really not display PTSD symptoms to the degree Saki is.

Last edited by Forsaken_Infinity; 2013-03-10 at 18:12.