View Single Post
Old 2013-01-19, 20:34   Link #98
ChainLegacy
廉頗

As we saw in an earlier episode when Akane was surprised of someone being unemployed in the time period they live in, there are obviously 'advantages' to the Cybil System. Like many fictional dystopias, Cybil-world is in many ways a utopia with a fatal flaw. The level of organization of their society (the efficiency + employment), and the careful management of everyone's psychological state to avoid stress, are things many people would pine for today. The problem is that they have sacrificed what we consider to be some fundamental aspects of the human experience in doing so through the 'soulless' and rigid system. In a minor sense, this may lead to less life fulfillment and a totally guided life experience that seems inherently undesirable to those influenced by modern Western ideas. In a more extreme sense, it leads to the imprisonment of 'potential' threats and the outright annihilation of those deemed unfit even for attempts at rehabilitation. The structure is rigid and cold in a frighteningly inhuman way, detracting, at an emotional and primal level, from the many advantages presented by their society.

Anyways, it had crossed my mind that Masaoka would be Ginoza's father, but I shook it off because their interactions never seemed to hint at such a relationship. I guess the parental bond has just cooled to such a degree that they don't even consider that connection in their day to day interaction. I certainly like the old school detective ethic of Masaoka more (he may be my favorite character), but I see Ginoza as a sympathetic figure with some misguided beliefs largely based on fear.