View Single Post
Old 2012-09-02, 18:13   Link #227
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Taken out of context my ass. All the pranksters are the same. They joke around at the expense of the victim's feelings and just make it with the excuse that they were having fun. Then they do it again with clean conscience. Unless you've been in the same situation, none of us have right to call it was exaggerated or taken out of the context.
So, unlimited sympathy for the victim (even if he claims otherwise), zero consideration for the accused perpetrators and accomplices (even if they claim otherwise), and no one has the right say anything differently unless they've been in the same situation. That sounds fair and balanced!

Well, why even have a conversation then; let's get straight to sentencing!

Seriously, I think a lot of us probably know what it's like to be bullied. It's a horrible thing and should never be condoned in any situation. If the allegations are true, then I definitely don't think what happened was appropriate. But I don't think we can pretend to know all the details of the situation and who all knew what when. You have to have at least some allowance for at least considering that there may be another side of the story for some of the people involved. That not everyone involved with this situation knew that the victim wasn't in on the joke, or that not everyone involved intended for this to be carried out in this manner. You have to at least allow some possibility for multiple points of view, or you're just being biased. It's so easy for us to feel sympathy for the victim and to believe that "there's no doubt" all the allegations are true because it seems awfully "truthy" (and because a lot of us know just how horrible it is to be bullied)... but I think that's just letting our emotions completely take over.

At the end of the day, we will never know all the details of all the situation surrounding this case. And in the end, it's not our fight -- it's up to the victim if he wants to pursue this case further and bring further attention to it. And in the end, people are getting all worked up about this one situation, but there are all sorts of situations like this that happen all the time, not to mention situations that are a heck of a lot more severe and troubling than a voice actor having his hopes crushed in public. We've all had our feelings hurt unfairly before; it wasn't right, and it may leave some scars, but he can move past this. I've got bullying scars too -- it became part of who I am, for better or worse. As bad as this situation appears to be, I think everyone should try to keep everything in perspective. We should save some of our rage for other things too.