View Single Post
Old 2013-11-05, 05:10   Link #337
Little John

Technologies

This series is one of the few shows that really captured my imagination. The world building is flawed enough to be realistic and thus interesting. But because of my nature of examining things, I often find myself saying "why don't they just..." in some events.

Some of my ideas here are categorized into 3 levels. Lvl 1- tech and objects that definitely exist in the world because they were shown to exist by the author. Lvl 2 are tech and object that we can assume are possible because of the existence of lvl 1's. Lvl 3 (to which my posts will be mostly about- because speculating is just more fun!) are things that may exist because of the Lvl 1 and 2 tech and objects.

If some tech or another does not show up in the series I chuck it up to a couple of things

1) They cannot produce it. Meaning they either do not have the materials to manufacture it or lost the knowledge to do so.

2) It was not terribly effective in their experience. This is more deductive reasoning, but some tech that to us would obviously work against titans, had been found to be ineffective. A bit of a grey area.

3) People being people simply overlooked the potential of some tech. This has happened again and again in history, gun powder for the Chinese was initially used in fireworks and was never used in war as extensively as it was in the west.

4) There is active suppression of some tech. The government may actively suppress labor saving devices to actually keep more of the population busy. Sort of like make-work in the military so the people don't get restless

5) The author flat out ignored it. The reason of last resort. Although flat out possible in a lot of cases this is the last thing I would think. There are typically better rationalizations than this.
Little John is offline   Reply With Quote