View Single Post
Old 2008-03-22, 17:18   Link #32
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Oh come on now, happy endings don't suck. I think that in my top ten, the ones with the happiest endings are, er, The Place Promised in Our Early Days and maybe Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.
Definately, Taiyaki chose the right girl in the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel.shade View Post
Okay, okay, you're right. =P Most happy endings suck. There are the rare few that somehow have a light-hearted and pleasant ending that does not come off as contrived and trite.
Eh, I kind of agree that most happy endings aren't very good, but I haven't liked many anime with happy endings.
And trite was probably my freshman year English teacher's favourite word, next to peruse and egregious (or was it heinous? I can never remember because I just associate her usage with one of the Bill and Ted words.)
Quote:
My favorite endings aren't "bad ends" either. I prefer either "open" endings (i.e. Hoshi no Koe) where the ending is left open to the interpretation of the viewer, or content/relieved endings (such as the ending of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai).
This is where opinion comes in. A lot of people like closure in the end as opposed to one open to interpretation. I personally care little either way, but I'm not fond of endings that are too open.
I would say Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai had one of the happiest endings I'd ever seen.
Spoiler for Though probably not needed:

Quote:
Bad ends can be very entertaining, however. Sometimes more entertaining than the rest of the show. Nice boat!
When people being up "Nice Boat", it doesn't really refer to School Days' actual ending, moreso to the fact that it was cancelled and delayed by many stations.