View Single Post
Old 2008-06-18, 05:07   Link #275
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceral View Post
Please don't take this too harsh, but if you didn't find any meaning in many of the tearjerker moments, I don't think you're thinking hard enough. E.G. just take either Fuko or Kotomi's arc from Clannad, the theme of either arc was to show the importance of filial love and that filial love transcends the world a person is able to see(I'm sure you could find much more meaning too, but you have to think about it.) For me, part of the reason why I watch Anime, and for me to call it a good Anime, is for it to stimulate me intellectually, to make me think why such a scene happened. Many of these so-called scenes are indeed tearjerker moments, but they come with a lot of meaning.
That depends, really. For example, to me, Fuko's arc was completely touching and made me cry manly tears. However, Kotomi's arc had a "whatever" effect on me and I just didn't connect with it. The same can be said for Makoto's arc. I didn't like it at all. I see where this is going though. You may argue that Fuko's arc is meaningful, but you can't really apply it to anything relevant in real life, and that might be what Irenicus is getting at. In short, they may tackle things that some may connect with (unfortunately I don't have a sister), but for others who are less "emotional," their meaning of "meaningful" may be completely different. They might find anime such as Now and Then, Here and There or 5 Centimeters per Second to be more meaningful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceral View Post
But, I do agree with you that some programs exist which serve only to evoke tears from the viewer, although I would not use such a sadistic term as you to describe them. I think KGNE had a few of these scenes, which is why I did not like it as much as some of the other titles aforementioned. The thing is, once I finish watching such a scene, I'm able to recognize it later, and it leaves no lasting impact on me, and I don't like the anime anymore because of it(Maybe i dislike it even). This isn't to say KGNE didn't have any meaning, I felt it did on the contrary, I felt there was enough to rewatch it right after watching it. But I felt that some scenes were overtly melodramatic, to appeal to those who like drama for the sake of drama.
Yeah you're kinda right about that. However, they're overly melodramatic to be unique, I think, and I appreciate that. Even if it's just for the "shocking value," KgNE is definitely tragic without a lot of meaning, except for the one topic (be_____l) that everyone seems to disagree on. But in defense, I will say that I thought 14 episodes was perfect, and I'm so glad it didn't go to 24-26. And now we come back to how we have different meanings for meaningful. I have and can re-watch a certain scene in episode 14 and it will have the same impact on me every time. I do agree that episodes 3-13 could be a bit more condensed.

(Air is #6 and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is #3 on my list. They are both rated 9 and 10 respectively.)
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote