View Single Post
Old 2012-11-29, 08:26   Link #31258
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Except, if Yasu is so crazy that she misunderstands Battler so much, I don't think she'd be capable of getting so many accomplices, willing or unwilling.
I think we have to differentiate between several possibilities of her psychosis. It's not like she is stark raving mad, she is just a severely cracked individual. That is the tragedy of most culprits in mysteries. They are not completely insane, which would absolve them from culpability, they fail to understand that what they are doing is not bettering their situation. After the first murder they simply try to reclaim control over their own reality, which keeps slipping away, and so they have to continue down the pass they started.

Even misunderstanding Battler is not actually a sign of a variant of insanity that disables her to function in society. It's just that one part of her psyche that is cracked, while in other areas she might function perfectly well.

Quote:
I might be misunderstanding Yasu here, but it seems to me that making Battler remember his promise is more of a means, not an end in itself.
But Beatrice said it several times, she created this game to play it with Ushiromiya Battler, the grandson of Ushiromiya Kinzo, and she continues that game until either side declares defeat or dies.

Thus the goal of the game is not even that much to make Battler remember but, as you implied, to reach a decision on her life. The goal is a decision on the trial of love.

I think her desperation was so far that she did not think straight anymore. That does not mean she went insane, the obstacles simply seemed so strong that she gave up all hope on overcoming them.
Jessica might possibly only want someone in order to not be alone.
George did not show any signs of progress until the plan was already in motion (he did not make a move on Okinawa).
Then there is the aspect of her apparent genital disposition.
Battler comes back which confuses her. Is it about the promise or not?
She is the family head and shoulders an obligation she does not want.
She knows how unable the family is of handling itself.

And somehow she adopted Kinzo's worldview of "only when gambling at the highest odds can you gain a proper result."
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote