View Single Post
Old 2008-05-28, 13:16   Link #223
Swampstorm
Lovestruck Fool
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
@ Swampstorm

I figure that you may misunderstand me in a point. Even if I have 'Sheryl fan' written on my face since day one, it doesn't necessarily mean I'd look down on Ranka. I have never for a second doubted Ranka gets a potential can match Sheryl's. The highlight of my idea is 'the best songstress not necessary be the most popular one; only the one with both ability and opportunity can make to top, and Ranka lacks of the latter." Like the possibility that Sheryl falls we have talked for a long time, isn't there also a possibility that Ranka fails to rise? There are too many hero/heroine-want-so-hero/heroine-get anime out here, it would be fun to have one in which main character(s) fail to reach their dreams.
Oh, I didn't think that you were looking down on Ranka. It's important for at least someone in the discussion to point out the practical realities of things, after all.

There are many things that could boost Ranka's popularity significantly, particularily if she plays an important role in the battle with the Vajra. I don't mind if the writers have Ranka surpassing Sheryl late in the series or not, so long as Ranka achieves her dreams to her own satisfaction. Sheryl's success as a character depends far less on holding on to her current position, and far more to do with developing her relationship with Alto. All Sheryl has ever known is her work; this is her best chance to discover all the missing things in her life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
It might be too straightforward to say this but Michael, Luca and Nanase do pick up that Alto and Ranka are close even if the two don't have any clue about it. Like you said, they wouldn't tease Alto if they don't.

While it's true Ranka did say, "It's not like that" her behaviour, facial expressions tell us otherwise. It's fairly evident Ranka is jealous that Alto's getting closer to Sheryl. That's all it is. People express more of themselves through Nonverbal communication instead of verbal.
I do think that Alto and Ranka are close, but that isn't to say that there's a romantic attraction involved as of now. They're simply two people who are placed in the similar position of chasing after their respective dreams. It's hard to explain that kind of a relationship to your friends, especially when they get such a kick over teasing you about it.

It's always difficult to explain what you see in a non-verbal cue, but I'll have to try. For me, it had to do with the way that Ranka trails off into thought. It comes across as if she's sure that her curiosity doesn't quite stem from romantic interest, but she can't quite classify what it is. It looks less like Ranka is trying to cover her feelings up and more that she's trying to answer Michael's question very earnestly. But that's just what I got from it.

We all know that there's going to be a love triangle here at some point. But I think this is still a transition phase.

Quote:
Since Nonverbal > Verbal, it doesn't mean that every pattern of behaviour is absolute. If we're going to compare Ranka's denial of jealousy to her behavioral patterns lately, we're bound to see that the girl really is jealous--in a very passive way I might add. While in Nanase's case, the girl blushes practically at everything. She blushed when Ranka held her hand, she blushed when Sheryl commented on her body, she blushed when she was teased about Alto. -_-; lol There's not even any indication that Nanase is crushing on Alto. I really don't think she indignantly stood up to Sheryl just because Sheryl is taking Alto away from her.
If you put it that way, Ranka blushes just as easily.

But it's not really about the blushing; it's more about how forceful her denial is. If she had said it calmly, or attempted to explain what her real position was, then we'd know that she wasn't bothered by the question.

Quote:
Nobody said they can't reinforce the idea over and over. I also think that's another hint of them conveying 'the' message.
True, but I'm hoping that Ranka isn't the only character that the writers are trying to explore through all this. You take that one, and I'll take this one. Deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I'm not too sure I really like how Alto and Sheryl is putting it all up on 'destiny' too readily and simply. It's like they're totally jinxing themselves considering that a lot of it was a sheer will to succeed at what they're doing, and a lot of the events are simply out of their control (If the Vajra didn't attack, Alto wouldn't be in SMS).
There's a slight difference between the two. From episode three, it seems that Alto wants to take control of his own destiny, but doesn't always have the belief that he can. Sheryl already has the strength to believe in her own destiny, but she wavers from time to time as a consequence of trying to go it alone.

I don't think the story is necessarily implying that having a belief in your own destiny is enough on its own. 'Sheryl mustn't believe in herself! She must believe in Ranka, who believes in Alto, who believes in Sheryl!' Or something like that.

Nobody is ever truly in control of anything, but this is simply a way that people cope with those feelings of helplessness. For Sheryl at least, I'm sure that there's going to come a point down the line where belief alone isn't enough to succeed; how she opens up to the support of others after that could possibly play an important role in the development of her character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I wish Sheryl can stop being so perfect and being so perfectly adaptable to anything and everything.
Well, I'm with you on this one. Character development comes from exploring a character's weaknesses, not their strengths. While we've seen flashes of vulnerability from Sheryl, her real development as a character can only come when she's at her weakest. Right now the focus is on exploring Ranka's insecurities; there will be plenty of time for Sheryl to get some focus once Ranka starts cashing in a few successes. Just be patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley84 View Post
I figure Ranka will drop the whole Idol thing, because as much as she likes singing, she wouldn't like becoming someone like Sheryl.
A second Sheryl would be amazing. Alto would be doomed.

Quote:
While having an awesome time doing it.
It was an awesome time, wasn't it?

Quote:
She may not be "perfect" but she does whatever she wants and walks all over people i.e. Alto.
Oddly, she can be surprisingly meek when Alto is really firm about what he says. Her confidence hax gives her an edge at everything else, though. She needs to duel Kamina sometime.

Quote:
Where's the Sheryl from episode two that wore a disguise when she went out in public? She gave up on that as soon as five rolled around, if not earlier. Speaking of episode five, where's that Sheryl at? I would never have imagined her wrecking a school because of a pair of panties, as funny and entertaining as that may have been. Not to mention running people doing with a limo and being a general agent of Chaos.
Sunglasses count as a disguise. Did you notice how everyone recognized her only after she took off her sunglasses in the observation tower?

I hear that it works better with a beard, but that alternative gets ruled out for obvious reasons. I guess I won't be following a Beard x Princess pairing this time around.

On a more serious note, I do think that the writers have been experimenting with Sheryl's character a fair bit as a result of striking gold in episode five. But it's very important for them to push the boundaries of her character now, while they still have the flexibility to do so. There's plenty of time to weave the nuances of her personality together later.

Quote:
Episode one Sheryl? Denigrates the flight students and makes a hasty retreat when her fans, whom she appeals to later on when her precious Galaxy that she hates is attacked, are in danger from...something.

She's not very consistent is she?
Actually, Sheryl initially resists before being dragged off stage by Cathy, so her initial impulse wasn't to escape the scene. I feel that she was much too blunt about the students, but I also can't help but note at the same time that her insights really were correct about the potential consequences of using students instead of professionals. But in her drive to make sure that everything is perfect, she also steps on people's toes in the process. But that's something that she'll have to learn to change as she grows.

(I agreed with the approach that she took in the manga much more, but this is this and that is that.)

I must confess that I didn't really like Sheryl all that much up until episode five. But looking back, I now have enough information to understand the reasons for her behavior, even if I don't necessarily agree with everything she did.

For one thing, she's had to grow up much too fast. When she's seriously focused on her career, she comes across as much much older than she really is. One of the important changes that took place in episode five was that with Alto, she finally had the freedom to be her own age and have some fun. That's why exploring her growing relationship with Alto has been so vital to developing her character.

Quote:
She was acting. She acts out all the time.
Sheryl is fairly adept at putting up a mask to protect her feelings when the need arises. But the main point of that scene was to highlight how Ranka and Sheryl each approached a similar fear in different ways.

As a consequence of her childhood trauma, Ranka is frightened at the thought of losing her last "family member" to war, which is why Ozma had to keep his piloting a secret from her for all this time. She doesn't understand why pilots need to go off to fight, which shows in the question that she poses Alto at the end of episode four.

In Sheryl's case, she has no family roots. Although Galaxy was a lonely place for her, it still is the only thing that she can really call home. As such, she needs to believe in its safety in order to stay strong, as she shows in episodes six and eight. She understands why Alto has to go off and fight; while she is afraid, she knows that she also has a duty to fulfill: If Alto's job is to fight, then it's her job to sing.

On stage, the line that Sheryl breaks down at is "I don't know if there'll be a day when we meet again in this vast galaxy." This has echoes of the melancholy tone that Sheryl has at the end of her date with Alto, where, despite all the fun that they had together, she remembers that she has to return to Galaxy. As she says those words on stage, she realizes that may very well have been their last meeting, which is what causes her to break down. There are some nice little details, such as the way in which Sheryl's hand unconciously reaches out for her missing earring, to really drive the point home.

The strength of this scene is in showing how the characters feed off of each other's strength and determination to succeed. Sheryl can't bring herself to sing on her own strength; she struggles to put on a brave front when she hears the cries of the crowd, but she can't sustain it. When Ranka sees that Sheryl knows about what's going on and is still trying to do her best in spite of it, she in turn is able to summon up the strength to help Sheryl.

That was where the real battle of the day was fought and won.