View Single Post
Old 2015-05-22, 05:17   Link #45
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
Stopping the Birdcage and freeing people are side-effects of him winning the fight. To think that Luffy would be fine with escaping Mingo as long as the birdcage was destroyed and the people are somehow safe is to not know Luffy's character. He's too prideful and hard-headed to give up on a declaration of beating someone. For reference, just refer to every boss fight he's had in the story. His primary objective is always knocking them out.
I fundamentally disagree with you on this point. Although we've had instances of Luffy fighting out of vengeance (Arlong) by and large Luffy has fought out of a sense of justice for the people and to protect them. From Don Krieg to Crocodile to rescuing Robin right down to Caesar Clown, each time Luffy fights as a means to another goal not as the end condition. Eneru was about to destroy Sky Island, Luffy defeated him to prevent that. Hody Jones wanted to kill the merman king, Luffy defeated him to prevent that.

Although Luffy may fight with pride and 'hard-headedness' it is not what motivates him. What motivates him is his inclination to do the right thing and see justice done in the world which is why he would make a fantastic pirate king. I'm sure if Crocodile lost hope and left Alabasta alone Luffy wouldn't chase him down to the ends of the earth to knock him out...thus his primary objective is not to knock someone out it's to neutralize the threat.