View Single Post
Old 2007-02-15, 15:42   Link #1062
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Last Waltz

What a beautiful ending to conclude such an immersive, enthralling, and insight sci-fi drama.

The use of long pauses and silence, coupled with cinematographic shots made me to feel very personally Sara's loss and painful tears at the conclusion of the climax.

I do also like to commend the use of the soundtrack for the set up, the last battle, and the epilogue. The animators treated us first with the string-guitar rendition to Last Waltz, and then with the jukebox rendition of the same song, it was very enchanting.
However, I also disagree with the choice of music they inserted when the reparations on the RAMDASS were made. I felt that particular music track did not fit with the scene or went off timing. It is the kind of music that plays when a leader of hero(ine) makes long speech of encouragement for the crew or once victory is achieved.

Anyways, this episode was a solid finish to tie all loose knots around the story of Sara, Emily, and Ralph. Everything else about the everlasting war among Union and Deague is out of consequence, and I do not mind of all.
The theme of the plot was for Sara to recover back her desire for friendship, to care for another person, to struggle against any let downs to reunite with Ralph again and bring him back home.
Spoiler:

Spoiler for For the ending sequence:

I can say with proud that Strain was everything that I liked drama, personal introspectives, action, sci-fi mecha content, and a believable quasi-tragic heroine and tragic, redeemed antagonist.