View Single Post
Old 2010-07-20, 11:55   Link #50
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Arthur was not born in Whales like his sisters, but England itself. Tintagel (I might've misspelled that) was the castle/fiefdom of Igraine's husband, whom she betrayed out of her love for Uther. The Duke of Tintagel (I can't remember his name) was the father of 3 daughters, (forget the first one, she really didn't have a role), Morgaine (who wed Lot of Orkney, and had four sons, Gawain, Agravain, Gaheris, and Gareth), and Morganna (also known as Morgan le Fay, who was the mother of Mordred). NONE of them are Roman, but in fact, British. Additionally, Arthur isn't really his name, it was Gwydion by birth, Arthur was the shortened form of Arcturius, given to him by the Saxons. Gawain was known as Gwalchmei, Galahad I known as Lancelot (meaning Elf Arrow), and Gwydion II known as Mordred (meaning Evil Council... ironic)

Do not try me on Arthurian mythology, you are almost guaranteed to lose.
Well, whilst you're right in terms of modern-day geography (Tintagel is in Cornwall), the meaning of the word "England" is "land of the Angles", and the word "Wales" comes from the Anglo-Saxon word for "foreigner". So, whilst King Arthur's birthplace was in what would be modern-day England (although there are a lot of Cornish people who don't like that idea, because Cornwall, like Wales itself, was an independant kingdom for some time after the Kingdom of England formed, has it's own language (which is very closely related to Welsh) and has a natively Celtic culture, rather than the Germanic culture that the rest of England has (thanks to the Saxons)), at the time it was part of what would now be called "Wales" (although at the time it was just "Britain"), as opposed to "England", which was (by definition) occupied by the Saxons.

You may know a lot about Arthurian mythology, but when it comes to British geography, you don't have a chance, because I am actually British.
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote