View Single Post
Old 2009-05-20, 19:48   Link #1101
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
Considering the massive loss of life caused by Britannia its obvious which side is good. Lelouch biggest problem is that the man is a dick, and somewhat nuts.

Chuck is a crazed lunatic who kills millions in hid dream of renacting the plot from "Children's End"

Also no Britannia is not shown as sympathetic in the least. At no point in time does Cornelia seem to regret her actions, nor does any of the other Britannians. Gino states that he wishes that Britannia was the way it used to be under Charles.

Compare that with say Fullmetal Alchemist where characters breakdown, and half the scenes are of the common soldier being disgusted with their own actions.
I don't really see what the big deal is here. Soldiers who delight in killing, and soldiers who are disgusted, are equally sympathetic (or unsympathetic, as the case may be) to me: after all, they're all just grunts, and all just human. The attitudes and feelings of such obviously un-self-aware characters really do nothing in terms of making me like or dislike a faction.

It's really the goals and leadership which matter, and in that regard I find Charles more sympathetic than the Fuhrer and even maybe Mustang. I really have no problem with the kind of people Cornelia, Schniezel, Euphemia, Darlton, Guilford, Jeremiah, Viletta (eh, well I suppose perhaps not the latter two), etc. were either. Furthermore, I quite like Suzaku, so all in all I have to say I did find Britannia sympathetic, the rebels to a degree less so, given the fewer number of notable leaders (Toudou, Ougi, Deithard?) and a lessened impression of their competence what with Lelouch being the focus. In the end I really would say that Code Geass didn't feature good or evil, and had instead essentially universal ignorance and lack of competence (no side ever actually looked good consistently, really), so that people's support for either side, or moreover simultaneous support for both even, is entirely justified.

Also, your characterization of Lelouch is rather shallow. :P I remember we used to have a bit of a rapport regarding Lelouch redeeming himself via Zero Requiem, so this is a bit disappointing.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote