View Single Post
Old 2009-05-21, 02:06   Link #1107
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul120 View Post
Say what? Mustang wanted to become Fuhrer in order to put an end to the corruption and tyranny within the military. How was Charles any better than that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
I really want to know how Charles whose death toll is probably about 50 million is more sympathetic than a man who wants to become Fuhrer to protect everyone, end corruption, and bring Amestris to a new golden age.

Unless your talking exclusively about the anime and took the whole Miniskirt thing seriously.
Let's keep in mind we're talking about a fictional 50 million here. Basically, Charles was sympathetic to me because his perspectives emerged from an understandably difficult history, he was determined and consistent in pursuing his goal, and had perspective of himself and was therefore competent. Charles never let himself be distracted with meaningless idealizations and instead focused on reality and what was practically efficient and achievable. Mustang, meanwhile, is a bit of a preachy bitch. The bullshit moral posturing he recently pulled with his vengeful fury over Hughes death but subsequent acquiescence that 'no, vengeance is wrong' just lacks any real feeling, and it is this same triteness which describes Mustang's supposed motive for taking over the military because 'Oh, I feel so terrible for killing people 7 (was it 7?) years ago'. What's so terrible and corrupt about the Amestris government?--aside from Wrath secretly being a homunculus and one bad war in the past decade?

Quote:
The former 3 were in leadership positions, so Cornelia, for instance, was quite responsible for her actions, which she had no problems carrying out, by the way.
Of course they were responsible for their actions. I simply have no problem with them. They all acted in an entirely reasonable manners (okay, maybe not Schniezel, but again at least he was genuine) given their respective backgrounds, positions, and motivations. They were generally honourable and respectable people who even had the clarity to occasionally look past a national prejudice; that's better than the grunts, and honestly good enough.

Quote:
True, but he still had a greater sense of honor than many other characters in the show. (Not that you're necessarily saying otherwise.)
Well, what I'd say really redeemed Lelouch was the fact that he got over his self-limiting perception that the world was his enemy to sacrifice himself for the better of it. I'm not really sure where you're getting this 'honour' thing at all.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote