View Single Post
Old 2007-03-27, 08:23   Link #74
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm amused to see this thread resuscitated today. When I posted in the "how old are you really" thread, some of you suggested I do a little proselytizing among my friends in their 50's who couldn't really understand why I watched anime. ...
I've gotten a few non-anime "mundane" types my age hooked on things like Azumanga Daioh, Kamichu!, or Tsukuyomi Moon Phase. Actually, REC was quite a hit (forgot about that).
My "tech" friends who are my age are easier to drop into more "advanced material" like Paniponi Dash or SHnY since they've been raised on Monty Python, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, D&D, etc.

So far, few or none in my age group I know care for the "loud noisy boisterous" anime (i.e. typically action-centered shounen) which is okay since I'm not a fan either. Most seem to prefer character-driven drama, adventure, mystery, romance, or romantic comedies....

There's more of us "45-60ish" types here on the forums than I expected when I first registered. I discovered a mom in my japanese language class who was into it with her teenage daughter, and of course, my wife, sons, and their girlfriends all watch certain types of anime...

Moral: anyone who says they're "too old" for anime is too old for life
(variation on "too old to play games", "too old to have fun..." ... meh)

I do worry about getting tired of anime because of the "recycle" effect though. For most of my life, I would read science fiction sometimes a book a day til about 10 years ago. Now I'm lucky if I can find a new book a year I want to read, simply because I've seen so many variations of storylines, plots, and premises that I'm often saying "oh, this is pretty much like X and Y blended together." I suspect I'll get pickier about what I decide to watch.