View Single Post
Old 2011-04-14, 15:13   Link #412
thirdlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Not sure where you get your numbers,here's where I get mine and sunrise has more employees than KyoAni,Madhouse has a little less,bones isn't listed but considering they've got 4 locations so that 4 teams can work in parallel I'd expect that number to be pretty darn big too.
The number I said is number of key animators and inbetweeners. I now counted animators credited at Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi. It's over ninety, including Animation Do and excluding Studio BLUE. It would be nearly a hundred now.

Sunrise doesn't have any animators as permanent employees. (I guess animators refer to key animators in this context.) It's almost impossible that they have more than a hundred of inbetweeners while having no key animators.
Madhouse occasionally outsources the whole of a series, and even if they produce a series themselves, half of episodes are outsourced, (which is nothing but my impression,) so they don't have as many as you think they have.
As for Bones, I don't know them very much because I don't very often look over their episode staff lists. When impressive animation makes me check out a staff list, skilled freelancers have worked in most cases.

Anyway, it's said that eighty percent of animators are freelancers. (I guess animators refer to key animators in this case too.) Even if they seem company members, they are not. Employed animators are much less than you think. Some would think comparing the low numbers is pointless.