View Single Post
Old 2012-12-20, 17:02   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was definitely a breathtaking episode.

Akane and Makishima's confrontation was incredibly tense and chilling. Now nobody will be able to argue that the Sibyl system is flawless. When an obvious murderous sociopath like Makishima is seen as an upstanding citizen by the system, you know something is seriously wrong. How many other people like him are there around, and how many people have been misjudged by the system over the years? The revelation that the Sibyl system is not 100% reliable should lead to a major upheaval... if that information is made public, that is. I have a feeling the upper brass will prevent Akane from revealing it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they were already aware of this and purposely withheld that information from the public, perhaps because by the time they found out about that flaw it was already too late to back out.

Makishima is becoming more and more fascinating. I think he made a good point: inspectors and enforcers are little more than puppets of Sibyl. They act like robots, always following Sibyl's judgment, never questioning it. They never truly pulled the trigger out of their own will, they were simply following instructions (they don't even have the option to override the dominator's settings, they can't shoot if the system doesn't allow them too). They never felt the weight of the lives they took, they see the criminals as nothing more than trash because Sibyl tells them so. Akane is a bad example however, since she is a complete rookie and she actually still tries to think for herself. No doubt this experience will shake her belief in the system even further.

Can't wait to see how the events of this episode have affected Akane. Her reactions in this episode were very human, so we can forget the theories about her being a psychopath. I hope the next episode will also put an end to all the theories about her being like Makishima and show that her hue is clouded. IMO, she is very much a normal person, who simply happens to be stronger will and more optimistic than most. That should change soon.