View Single Post
Old 2008-02-27, 00:58   Link #675
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Sorry, no, it does not work that way. The stadia ranging has priority over an ASSUMED shot speed. Clearly, what happened is that more of the shot overlapped then you guessed.

To support a 670m shoot with that graphic, the focal length will have to be over 122mm - that's zoom range. Since as I've already mentioned, the graphics are actually against any kind of extra zoom being added to the scope (a place where zoom is acceptable), if there is zoom, it is there during the pan-shot phase. Which means you are arguing for forced perspective.
Was I right, or was I wrong? You put the speed you estimated between fifty and eighty or so at the end.

Quote:
So, a bolt can travel about 160-170px in 2-3 frames (2-3 because 32702 and 32703 basically have the beams in the same place - limitations in time resolution imposed by economizing anime companies). Quattro is ~51px tall, so the bolts move about 3.13-3.33 Quattro lengths every 1/15th (two NTSC frames) to 1/10th (3 NTSC frames). If we assume Quattro is 165cm tall, then the bolts move at 51.65-82.42m/s.
I simply applied a quick average from there.

Either tell me I'm right, or tell me I'm wrong, but don't do both, that's just irritating.

Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle in this situation. Either the speed is right, or the distance is right. (Position or Momentum!?) Both cannot be measured at the same time. It's obvious they conflict fiercely.

Now, since we know the exact flight time of Vita Shot, I'll apply your range calculation to that.
If I knock a second off the flight time for Vita Shot to account for potential overlaps at firing and impact, her distance is still 268 meters out. Based on the average of the range of speed you calculated. And the low end of your calculation puts her at 201 meters. According to what you said earlier. Stadia ranging puts her at 122, nearly half the distance at the low end of the speed calc. either the Stadia ranging is innaccurate because we're assuming Lenses, or we're getting some serious bullet-timing in somewhere, and nobody's telling Morpheus about it. (That, or by some really freaky coincidence, magic has a flare for dramatic timing and pulls back on the speed just before impact to give vita the 'OH SHI-' moment she got.)

I mean, I don't know about you, but 'velocity multiplied by time equals distance' is a pretty SOLID calculation.

So we need to decide if you want to use the half-guesses on perspective/forced perspective and focal lengths, or go with the 'far more reliable' calculations you've done.

Quote:
This is actually the ideal configuration for relative scaling, rendering focal lengths basically irrevelant, and far more reliable than guessing about focal lengths.
Or if you just can't bear to pick one style or the other... take the moderate calcs from both and apply them in average and come up with a middleground.

That would put Vita at 228 meters, the Buster at 45.6 m/s
Which would put Fate at 456 meters at 10 seconds, 319 on the short side of lenient with 7 seconds assuming 3 seconds overlapping events. And then we can simply account for the higher speed busters in StrikerS as natural growth Curve on Nanoha, call it a day, and have our decided range and velocity calculations.

I could go with averages of the ranges coming from a complete set of calculations based on all methods possible to exploit. At least then we've got a fixed figure in which we can apply to all events.

It would be handy to have fixed values for other things as well. Seeing as the Asura is supposed to fire a weapon that has a 200 km diameter blast, but on-screen perspective showed it to be a LOT closer than 100 km.