View Single Post
Old 2007-04-04, 03:34   Link #224
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittie Rose View Post
I don't think Japan is any more comformist than here, and is probably less so even. I live in a very conservative country. Just about every set of "Look I've been to Japan!" captures any number of oddballs. You just wouldn't find any where I live, at all.
Still doesn't mean the movie characters should have "oddball style" hairdos. (See below. )

Quote:
Doesn't matter, Japanese people dye their hair too. Misa is a model, a gothic lolita model. Many of them have bleached blonde hair, singers too. Like Kana who changes her hair every other week, but is generally blonde.
So? You're talking about singers and the ilk that you see in the entertainment industry, but we're talking about most of the characters in this story, and they are of the "serious by-the-book" cops ilk, no matter how incompetent they are. They are not singers, for god's sake.

Quote:
So? It doesn't just look more interesting in cartoons, it looks more interesting IN GENERAL. If anything, notable hair colours are more interesting in real life because you expect bright colours in comics and cartoons.
Perhaps you should suggest that every live action adaptation of every manga out there, from GTO and Battle Royale to recent titles like Honey & Clover and Nana, should get all their actors to dye their hair colour the way their manga counterparts do.

No disrespect intended, but I believe you might be getting a bit superficial in this aspect. The thing is, hair colour takes back stage to the story, and in no way does it make the characters or the story any less interesting just because they don't "look like" their manga counterparts. Provided the actor can play out the essence of the character's personality, I seriously don't give a damn about their hair colour as long as it doesn't impede my enjoyment of the story.