Thread: Crunchyroll GJ-bu
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-27, 14:01   Link #429
Midonin
Last Engage

GJ Bu The Final - A Story in Triplicate

I really enjoyed GJ Bu, for a few reasons. The humor was right up my alley, and the characters were all lovable. Tama wasn't used quite as much as I expected her to be, but with the cast being fairly large (factoring in Mori and the sisters), it did a good job (pun unintended) giving everybody their fair share. The best way to describe the final episode was quiet. Until the OP kicked in, it had a very still mood, with just a lot of scenery shots and almost no music to speak of. Apparently Kirara is a lot more verbose in text message form.

It's easy to compare GJ Bu as being a less fourth-wall-breaking (and also less dramatic) Seitokai no Ichizon, even moreso because I was watching Lv. 2 right alongside it. I always thought graduation was supposed to be a second cour/second season kind of deal, but I do feel I know these characters well enough after 12 episodes to feel it. And there's always the spinoff if they wish to continue. Maaya Uchida's great voice work was on display, and the 4-koma light novel concept is really unique, but might be tough to replicate. A story must be told in the medium best suited to telling it.

And in that regard, GJ Bu worked well as an anime. I'm really glad I got to spend time with everybody in this show. From Canadian catgirls to the hamster president.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote