View Single Post
Old 2010-09-04, 14:56   Link #4282
oldmanpoo

I've always wondered about the differences and similarities between magic and esper abilities as well, and why the two seem, for the most part, to be mutually exclusive. Magic utilizes arrays or spells to summon power supposedly from a higher plain, while espers utilize their AIM fields to "project their own reality".

The esper side is referred to as the science side and is regulated by scientific principles, but in reality, the only reason the magic side is referred to simply as the magic side is because the abilities magicians use aren't scientifically documented or explained (yet). I'm willing to bet there are scientific mechanics guiding magic just as there are for espers, just a different set that may or may never be explained or revealed.

I've asked before, but I wonder what the difference between an esper's flame and a magician's flame is on the most basic of levels. Do pyrokinetics project a flame from their AIM field spontaneously, or do they speed up the particles in the air, creating friction, and thus fire (the latter would be a far more scientific method than the first; the first explanation wouldn't seem, to me at least, to be any more explainable than magic)? As for a magician's flames, are they created similarly through the array/spell creating friction, or do magicians simply manifest/summon them from a "higher plane"? I suppose Stiyl's Innocentius would fit the latter description, though is it truly a "monster" or just a mass of flame capable of being manipulated?

Last edited by oldmanpoo; 2010-09-04 at 15:54.