View Single Post
Old 2009-12-10, 08:47   Link #4030
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
It's clear that Beatrice is referring to the people who are actually on the island and involved in the mystery. She'll say things like "Rosa is dead" but obviously there are millions of Rosas in the world; she obviously means Ushiromiya Rosa, and specifically (just in case there's another one) the one on Rokkenjima.

I don't think she'd use a dirty trick. When she says "only Kanon can use that name," she means only the person we know of as Kanon can use the name Kanon in the context of the story. I take this to mean that Kanon cannot be impersonated. However, it is clear that "Kanon" is nothing more than a title, just a title that happens to belong to only one person (the person whose name we don't know but call Kanon). Whether that's a hint that "Kanon" can die and Kanon-the-person can go on living, or merely a trick Beatrice used to shoot down Battler's theory and close a loophole, I don't know.

Obviously Kanon's real name is going to be important, as it's a Chekhov's Gun (especially after he almost says it in ep2). There's a reason we don't know it, and it's going to be some reason I suspect people have already guessed (he's the other Battler, he's an Ushiromiya, he's the boy from 19 years ago, he's Amakusa, he's Rosa's baby daddy, etc., something that would be obvious if he said it).
You mean it is clear that it's a name or an alias or a nickname. Nothing suggests that it is a "tittle", apart from Battler's crazy theories.
Anyway even in the closed circle of Rokkenjima the idea that no one can claim what is in fact a false name seems definitely odd to me. I'd expect something more like "there is only one person that ever claimed the name Kanon in all the games".
Yeah I'm a nitpicker but in the context of this game and all that it implies absolutely precise red truths are required to avoid misunderstandings.

I think it's the same problem with "this door can only be opened with a master key" which should rather be worded as "no one in this island can open this door without a master key"

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote